Members & Affiliates
Biosolids Management Committee

National Office

January 31, 2000

Letter to Congress — Support FY 2001 Funding For National Biosolids Program

Reference:

LA 00-2

Action Please By: As Soon As Possible

AMSA and the Water Environment Federation (WEF) have formally requested that Congress appropriate $1.3 million in the FY 2001 budget for the National Biosolids Partnership. AMSA will be sending its request letter to Congress on February 7, 2000, signed by the Executive Board and agency members in attendance at the Winter Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico, this week. We need your assistance in demonstrating to Congress the importance of this initiative.

With the initial investment of $1.8 million ($900,000 in both FY1999 and FY2000) the Partnership will shortly be able to complete the design of a cutting edge Environmental Management System (EMS) program. While the Partnership has made significant progress in developing components of the EMS, we still need the support of Congress to ensure the success of the project. Therefore, in order to complete the pilot demonstration program in 100 of the largest wastewater treatment systems across the country by the end of 2001, we are requesting $1.3 million in FY2001 appropriations. The federal funding will help provide $10,000 in matching funds to each system in order to jump start the process with each system contributing its own $10,000 in funding and in-kind services. The goal of the program is to ultimately involve every major POTW in developing an EMS for biosolids, and over time to draw smaller facilities as well.

We ask that you write a letter to Congress as soon as possible to encourage your delegation to support AMSA's FY 2001 funding request for the Partnership. We have developed a sample letter (see attached) for you to use in contacting your Congressional delegation, as well as several “Helpful Hints” in formatting the letter and reaching Congress. If you have access to the Internet, you can download a copy of the sample letter, as well as obtain detailed contact information for your delegation, from Congressional Connection which is located on the AMSA website.

Please make every effort to prepare and send the letter AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, as Congress is planning to work on the budget in February, much earlier than previous years. It is extremely important that as many AMSA Members and Affiliates as possible reach Congress at roughly the same time. Please send us a copy of your letter by fax (202/833-4657). If you have any questions, please contact AMSA's Greg Schaner at 202/296-9836 or by e-mail at gshaner@amsa-cleanwater.org .

Thank you for your support and assistance!

Attachments:

For this downloadable file, you must have the Acrobat Reader. If you don't have the Acrobat Reader, click on the icon below to download a copy. After you download and install a copy, return to this page and click on the link above for the downloadable file.