Member Pipeline - Legislative - Alert (LA 01-01)

To: Members & Affiliates
Biosolids Management Committee
From: National Office
Date: February 6, 2001
Subject: FY2002 FUNDING FOR NATIONAL BIOSOLIDS PARTNERSHIP
Reference: LA 01-1

Action Please By:
As Soon As Possible

On February 5, AMSA formally requested that Congress appropriate $1.1 million in the FY 2002 budget for the National Biosolids Partnership. The letter, signed by the Executive Board and agency members in attendance at the Winter Conference in San Diego, California, was addressed to the Chairs and Ranking Members of the House and Senate Appropriations Subcommittees for VA, HUD, and Independent Agencies and has been distributed to all members of Congress (see attached). AMSA’s letter follows a similar joint letter sent by AMSA and the Water Environment Federation (WEF) on January 24, 2001. While these two requests have alerted Congress on the need to continue its support of the Partnership, we still need letters from your agencies, as constituents, to demonstrate to Congress the importance of this initiative.

With its initial investment of $2.8 million, the Partnership has created and is testing an Environmental Management System (EMS) to improve the quality of biosolids management programs nationwide and to promote public acceptance of biosolids use and disposal practices. While the Partnership has made significant progress in establishing the components of an EMS program, we still need the support of Congress to ensure the success of the project. An additional $1.1 million in funding will be needed to complete implementation of the EMS program at 110 of the largest wastewater treatment systems across the country by the end of 2002. The goal of the program is to ultimately involve every major POTW in developing an EMS for biosolids, and over time to draw smaller facilities as well.

We ask that you write a letter to Congress as soon as possible to encourage your delegation to support AMSA’s FY 2002 funding request for the Partnership. We have developed a sample letter (see attached) for you to use in contacting your Congressional delegation, as well as several "Helpful Hints" in formatting the letter and reaching Congress. You can also download a copy of the sample letter, as well as obtain detailed contact information for your delegation, from Congressional Connection which is located on the AMSA website. Please send us a copy of your letter by email (lgarrigan@amsa-cleanwater.org) or fax (202/833-4657). If you have any questions, please contact AMSA's Lee Garrigan at 202/833-4653. Thank you for your support and assistance!

Attachments: