Members & Affiliates

National Office

December 23, 1999

Lobbying for AMSA's Clean Water Act Reform

Reference:

LA 99-16

Action Please By: As Soon As Possible

In the opening weeks of the 2000 Congressional session, the AMSA-led wet weather bill, The Urban Wet Weather Priorities Act (see attached summary), will be introduced in the House and soon thereafter in the Senate. The introduction of the bill represents a significant step forward in elevating AMSA's legislative issues to the forefront. But, this is only half the battle. In order to create the necessary climate for moving the bill, we need to inform a larger cross-section of Congress about urban wet weather issues. AMSA's goal is to attract as many members of Congress to the bill as possible by the time Congress reconvenes in January 2000. We can only do this with your assistance.

Now is the time to act. We ask that you contact your House and Senate delegations informing them of the bill and asking them to sign on as soon as possible after it is introduced. The most effective way to get the message across is by faxing and sending a letter to your House and Senatorial delegations, followed by a phone call. We have developed a sample letter (see attached) for you to use in contacting your Congressional delegation, as well as several “Helpful Hints” in formatting the letter and reaching Congress. Each letter should be sent with a copy of the bill summary (see attached). If you are represented by a member of Congress on either the House Water Resources & Environment Subcommittee or the Senate Environment & Public Works Committee, it is especially critical that you get involved. A list of the committee members is also attached.

We know that your time is precious. We encourage you to take full advantage of AMSA's website to save time. If you have access to the Internet, you can download a copy of the sample letter from Congressional Connection which is located on the AMSA website. Please see the attached instructions on accessing Congressional Connection. If you do not have access to the Internet, please feel free to contact Robin Davis at 202/833-3280 for assistance with contact information.

Your letters are critical to this effort. Please make every effort to prepare and send the letter AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It is extremely important that as many AMSA Members and Affiliates as possible reach Congress at roughly the same time. Please send us a copy of your letter by email (gschaner@amsa-cleanwater.org) or fax (202/833-4657). If you have any questions about this Legislative Alert, please feel free to contact Greg Schaner, Manager of Government Affairs at 202/296-9836.

Thank you for your support and assistance!