Members & Affiliates

National Office

January 21, 2000

Letter to Congress — TMDLs Must Require Controls From Nonpoint Sources

Reference:

LA 00-1

Action Please By: As Soon As Possible

AMSA has argued for years that the nation's water quality objectives will not be achieved unless stricter regulations on nonpoint sources of pollution are imposed. In the past month, nonpoint source associations have sent letters to Members of Congress in opposition to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) inclusion of nonpoint source pollution controls in the August 23, 1999 proposed rule to revise the Clean Water Act's Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) program. In response, House and Senate committees are planning to hold oversight hearings on the issue of nonpoint source pollution control in the TMDL program. While AMSA members have a number of concerns with the mechanics of EPA's draft TMDL rule, we strongly support the fair allocation of pollution reduction by all sources. As EPA moves forward with its TMDL program, one thing is certain — the success of the nation's water quality program depends upon the fair allocation of pollution load reductions by nonpoint sources.

We must act immediately. We ask that you write a letter to your Members of Congress voicing your support for fair-share controls on nonpoint sources of pollution in the TMDL program. On January 20, 2000, AMSA's National Office sent a similar letter (see enclosed) to every member of Congress expressing the Association's support for stronger nonpoint source controls.

We have developed a sample letter (see attached) for you to use in contacting your Congressional delegation, as well as several “Helpful Hints” in formatting the letter and reaching Congress. If you have access to the Internet, you can download a copy of the sample letter, as well as obtain detailed contact information for your delegation, from Congressional Connection which is located on the AMSA website. Please see the attached instructions on accessing Congressional Connection.

Please make every effort to prepare and send the letter AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. It is extremely important that as many AMSA Members and Affiliates as possible reach Congress at roughly the same time. Please send us a copy of your letter by email (gschaner@amsa-cleanwater.org) or fax (202/833-4657). If you have any questions, please contact AMSA's Greg Schaner at 202/296-9836 or by e-mail at gshaner@amsa-cleanwater.org.

Thank you for your support and assistance!

Attachments:

For these downloadable files, you must have the Acrobat Reader. If you don't have the Acrobat Reader, click on the icon below to download a copy. After you download and install a copy, return to this page and click on the link above for the downloadable file.