To: Members & Affiliates
From: National Office
Date: October 31, 2000
Subject: FUTURE MAPPING INITIATIVE FINAL REPORT
Reference: MU 00-9

We are pleased to present you with the Executive Summary of AMSA’s Future Mapping Initiative’s Final Report. As you know, AMSA launched the Initiative in late 1999 in an effort to unite AMSA members, clean water stakeholders, national policy makers, and members of the clean water community around a common vision and framework to help guide long-term U.S. water quality policy.

Over 50 representatives from across the water quality community participated in this Initiative — exploring multiple alternate water policy agendas in intensive 90-minute, personal interviews and then through an interactive three-day Future Mapping Workshop — which defined the conclusions of the Future Mapping Initiative and Final Report. The final conclusions of the Future Mapping Initiative were presented to the membership during May’s 2000 National Environmental Policy Forum & 30th Anniversary Annual Meeting, and this information is now available as the Future Mapping Final Report.

The Executive Summary provides a snapshot of the entire Future Mapping Initiative. The Summary outlines the Future Mapping approach, which details the frameworks of this Initiative and the Future Mapping Process; policy options and priorities for the water quality community; and five crucial, near-term action steps.

Many of the priorities and action steps identified through the process track closely with the goals and objectives of AMSA’s Strategic Plan, and its associated Action Plan – affirming that AMSA’s vision of the future of water quality policy is shared by many clean water stakeholders. It appears that our work, as an association, is "cut-out" for us. AMSA members can anticipate further integration of the report’s action steps into our planning processes and additional attention to be focused on them in communications with our members.

We have also included, for your information, a glossary of Future Mapping terminology and the project timeline. We hope that you will find this glimpse into the future of water quality policy interesting and useful as well. To view the Final Report in its entirety, please visit AMSA’s web site, http://www.amsa-cleanwater.org/advocacy/advocacy.cfm, or to receive a copy, complete the attached Response Form and return it to AMSA’s National Office, fax: 202/833-4657.