Regulatory Alert - RA 02-9 - 2002 WET WEATHER SURVEY

Member Pipeline - Regulatory - Alert (RA 02-9)

print Printer friendly version

To: Members & Affiliates, Wet Weather Committee
From: National Office
Date: April 23, 2002
Subject: 2002 WET WEATHER SURVEY
Reference: RA 02-9

New Deadline:
May 7, 2002

Deadline for 2002 Wet Weather Surveys Extended to May 7
On March 27, AMSA launched its 2002 Wet Weather Survey via Regulatory Alert RA 02-7, requesting that members return completed surveys by Monday, April 22. To encourage greater participation in this extremely important survey, AMSA is extending the deadline to submit completed surveys to Tuesday, May 7. The survey form is attached to RA 02-7 and also available on-line by visiting the AMSA web site at http://amsa-cleanwater.org and clicking on the 2002 Wet Weather Survey icon.

The objective of the 2002 Wet Weather Survey is to develop a more thorough understanding of how members design their collection systems and treatment plants to handle wet weather flows. This information will be critical to AMSA’s ongoing regulatory negotiations with EPA on a reasonable sanitary sewer overflow (SSO) rule and blending policy.

We realize this is an in-depth and time-consuming survey which will require careful analysis. We greatly appreciate your participation in this endeavor. Your participation will help ensure that the data collected is a true representation of the wet weather issues facing the nation’s POTWs.

Why You Should Participate in the Wet Weather Survey
While we have received a number of completed surveys, many more are needed before we can accurately convey the complexity of the issues you face to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). We hope to report on information from at least 50 percent of AMSA members.

The following is a list of the top five reasons why you should not delay in filling out the 2002 Wet Weather Survey:

1) Your survey will help AMSA craft a workable SSO rule

2) Your survey will help influence EPA’s rulemaking efforts in other important wet weather areas, such as CSOs, blending, and peak excess flow treatment

3) You will help establish a baseline of wet weather data not previously compiled

4) The final report will summarize data that should help you demonstrate the unique challenges you face

5) The survey is easily accessible – either on-line or hard copy (see RA 02-7)

Instructions for Submitting Completed Surveys
Detailed instructions and information are available to guide you through the survey in RA 02-7 and on-line. Key instructions are as follows:

Survey Deadline:
May 7, 2002 (previously April 22)

Submissions:
You can submit your completed survey to AMSA c/o Gunnar Gehrmann by fax (202/833-4657) or email (ggehrmann@amsa-cleanwater.org)

Survey Questions:
Regarding meaning of survey questions: Call Reggie Rowe at 205/657-8459 or 334/271-1445 (ext. 730), or email at rrowe@ch2m.com

Regarding on-line survey form:
Call Gunnar Gehrmann at 202/833-9384 or ggehrmann@amsa-cleanwater.org.

Project Questions:
Greg Schaner at 202/296-9836 or gschaner@amsa-cleanwater.org

Thank you again for your participation in this important effort.